Interior of St James’s Church c.1910
This early photograph of St James’s Church interior shows that the lighting was provided by gas and the organ pipes were decorated. The organ was built in 1859 by J.W.Walker and cost £502. It was paid for by William Orme Foster. It was restored in 1885 but needed further restoration in 1918 and 1955. It was again rebuilt in 1990. The organ pipes in this photograph were decorated and a more recent photograph shows the organ pipes in their present day form.