Advertisements from 1960
Of these advertisements which appeared in the April edition of the Parish Magazine in 1960 only one is still selling the same goods. A.B.Cooper ran the newsagent’s shop from 1939. He took over from Charles Smalley who had been there for over 30 years. Peter Cooper took over from his father and also ran a toy shop in what is now the Crescent Arcade. The shop has changed hands a number of times but is still a newsagents in 2012.
Frank A. Hejl’s shop was on the corner of Duncombe Street but was demolished in 1969 and SPAR was built on the site. A row of modern shops was built between Duncombe Street and High Park Avenue, with some parking in front and garages behind for the shopkeepers and occupants of the flats above. Hawkeswoods the chemists was opened in 1928 and served Wollaston and other areas of Stourbridge for 50 years. Cecil Hawkeswood died in 1984 and for a short time his son, Bob, continued to serve the villagers.