HOW's second book, published in 2007, details the development of Wollaston Schools from 1859 to 1984. It is available by post from HOW, 151 Bridgnorth Road, Wollaston, Stourbridge, DY8 3NU, price £15.00 + £2.00 p.& p.
A History of Wollaston Schools 1859 to 1984 traces the history of the building and the expansion of education between these dates. The schools were paid for by a local ironmaster, William Orme Foster and for most of the lifetime of the schools his son and grandson maintained their interest in Wollaston.
As well as detailing the changes in education and the expansion of the building, there are chapters which include Victorian teacher training, a snapshot of the village in 1901 with information about the working patterns in the glass and iron industry, biographies of the head teachers, school life throughout the whole period until the school closed in 1984 and moved to another site in Wollaston, the P.T.A. and some memories from past teachers, a governor and past pupils.
The book was researched and written by Janet Byard-Jones who had been a teacher in Wollaston for over 20 years and was fortunate in being able to consult the school log books and admissions registers.
The National Archives has put on line a Victoria Tributes website. They have chosen 60 items from their archives of addresses sent to Queen Victoria on the occasion of her Diamond Jubilee and among them is one from Stourbridge.
In the lead up to the Queen’s Jubilee in June The National Archives has looked at the many tributes which were from cities, towns and organisations in Great Britain and across the world and have chosen 60 addresses which are available online at their website. Amongst the number is one from Stourbridge. This cannot be opened on TNA website but its pages can be viewed if accessed through Flickr. The inclusion of Stourbridge is because one of the staff responsible for setting up this site was born and educated in Wollaston and Stourbridge.
A History of Wollaston Church
HOW's third book was published in 2010 to coincide with the 150th Anniversary of the Consecration of St James's Church.
In September 2010 St James’s Church celebrated the 150th Anniversary of the consecration in 1860 of Wollaston’s church. The book was published earlier in the year and traces the history of the church. Topics covered include the building of the church, the lives of the incumbents, curates and churchwardens, an account of the organ, organists and choir, improvements and extensions to the church, the church schools and the Foster family.
The book is soft backed, has 38 pages and costs £3.00. It can be bought from Stepalong, Bridgnorth Road, Wollaston or by post from St James’s Church Parish Office, Belfry Drive, Wollaston, Stourbridge DY8 3SE or HOW, 151 Bridgorth Road, Wollaston, Stourbridge DY8 3NU. Please add £1.00 for postage & packing.