An infant class.
A new infant headmistress, Alice Coe, was appointed in 1914. She began to introduce apparatus based upon the teachings methods of Maria Montessori whose teaching encouraged learning through the senses, the use of apparatus and going for walks to observe nature and encourage more imaginative writing. The method was adopted by all the staff and was so successful that many teachers from neighbouring schools visited to observe the children at work. The Vicar, other visitors from the church and parents were invited to watch the classes and many villagers were involved in helping to make some of the material and apparatus.