High Street had three public houses and Britannia Inn is one that is still serving food and drink. The original building dates back to 1839 when it appears to have been three cottages. The first owner in 1851 was Samuel Bullus whose name appears in the 1851 census and Melville’s Directory. John Bullas is named as the licensee in another directory of 1850 but in 1851 Samuel Bullas was also the licensee. There was a Henry Wakeman named in 1876 and in 1891 Thomas Hornbuckle. In the 21st century the latter is still a surname that is found in the village. In Kelly’s Directory for 1940 the licensee was James R. Thomason and the property number was 57.