In 1913 a development was completed which was called ‘The Wollaston Improvement Scheme’. It gave the village an attractive meeting point and benches were added later. The open space was envisaged as a recreational area. Public meetings were held there by political parties and in 1921 Wollaston Band played there in a series of Summer concerts. This photograph dates from the early 1930s and the plane trees, some of which are still there, were in their early years. Part of the space became the bus stop and today there are public toilets and a small car park approached from Meriden Avenue.