The Service of Dedication of the Memorial Vestry.
Reverend Hugh Wanstall was the second Vicar of St James’s. He worked hard in the parish and was a much loved vicar. He followed George Gilbanks who had been Vicar for 52 years. He was a keen sportsman and had played rugby and football for Keble College when at Oxford and later rugby and cricket in Rugby where he was a curate. He established a tennis club in Wollaston at the Vicarage and forged many links with the non-conformist churches in the area. His sudden death at the age of 56 was met with great sorrow and the members of the congregation held a three day bazaar in 1935 to raise money to build a vestry in his memory. Over £850 was collected and the Consecration of the Vestry took place on 3rd November 1935.