The Stourbridge Ironworks
The Stourbridge Ironworks was owned by James Foster and after his death in 1853 passed to his nephew William Orme Foster. Many of the workmen lived in the village, particularly in King Street where many of the houses belonged to the Ironworks. The illustration was first published in Meason’s Guide to the Great Western Railway.
A government report of 1843 described the iron works of James: “The largest iron works in England are those of Mr James Foster. They are situated near the town of Stourbridge and comprise forges, fineries, rolling-mills, foundries etc.”
James moved from Stourbridge to live at Stourton Castle in 1832 and after his death his nephew, William, took over the lease.